Beetroot, potato and red onion salad
A healthy beetroot side salad recipe – made with potato, red onion and a zingy lemon dressing – that goes with almost anything.
- 500g raw beetroot, peeled (wear rubber gloves) and cut into chunks
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar, plus an extra pinch
- 400g small waxy potatoes (such as charlotte), cut into chunks the same size as the beetroot
- 1 red onion, very finely sliced
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 50g raisins
- Handful fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the beetroot in a baking tray and toss with 2 tbsp of the olive oil, the caraway seeds and 1 tbsp dark brown sugar. Season, then roast for 35-40 minutes until tender and caramelised. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pan of water to the boil, then cook the potatoes for 12 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- Put the sliced onion in a bowl and cover with just-boiled water, then soak for 2 minutes. Drain, then return to the bowl and toss with a pinch of salt and the lemon juice. Set aside for 20 minutes or until the onion is bright pink.
- Drain the liquid from the onion into a small jug, then whisk in the red wine vinegar, the extra pinch of sugar and the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil until emulsified. Season well.
- Toss the cooled beetroot and potatoes in a large bowl with the dressing, then stir in the onion, lemon zest, raisins and parsley.