Make Salted pretzel and caramel no-churn ice cream
An easy ice cream recipe made with salty pretzels and sweet dulce de leche caramel.
- 450g dulce de leche (we used Merchant Gourmet)
- 300ml double cream
- 200ml full-fat Greek yogurt (we like Total)
- 2 tbsp dark rum or bourbon (optional)
- 60g salted pretzels, roughly broken
- Put the dulce de leche, double cream, Greek yogurt and rum/bourbon (if using) in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk until combined and smooth.
- Fold through the pretzels with a metal spoon, then transfer to a freezerproof 1 litre container, cover tightly and freeze until set. Take out of the freezer 15 minutes before serving to soften slightly. It’s great on its own, or drizzled with dark chocolate sauce.
- This simple recipe gives a creamy, perfectly balanced ice cream. Don’t be tempted to use low-fat yogurt or lower-fat cream as the ice cream will crystallise because of its higher water content.
The ice cream will keep, well covered, in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Dulce de leche is a sweet South American condiment used in pastries and as a spread for toast. It’s made by heating sweetened milk until it browns and caramelises. Find it in supermarkets.