Pistachio pavlovas with cherry compote and vanilla yoghurt cream
There’s no better way to complete a feast than with these individual pistachio pavlovas topped with cherry compote and vanilla yoghurt cream.
- 4 large free-range egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 1½ tsp cornflour
- ¾ tsp white wine vinegar
- 50g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
For the cherry compote
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (the delicious. team use Taylor & Colledge, from Waitrose)
- 4 heaped tbsp Greek-style natural yogurt
- First, make the pistachio pavlovas. Preheat the oven to 140°C/fan120°C/gas 1. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt in a large, very clean mixing bowl until they form stiff peaks. Gradually whisk in the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, to make a very stiff and shiny meringue. Gradually whisk in the cornflour and vinegar, then fold in all but a generous heaped tbsp of the chopped pistachios.
- Drop 6 large tbsp of the mixture, spaced well apart, onto the baking sheet. Then, using the back of a spoon, spread each one out into a 10cm round, making a slight dip in the middle as you do so. Sprinkle each with a few of the reserved pistachios and bake for 45 minutes. Turn off the oven, leave the door ajar and leave them to cool inside.
- Meanwhile, make the cherry compote. Put the sugar in a pan with the orange and lemon juices, then leave over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add the cherries, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10-12 minutes until they are just tender. Use a slotted spoon to scoop the cooked cherries into a small bowl, then return the pan to the heat and boil rapidly until the juices have reduced by about half. Leave to cool slightly, then pour back over the cherries and chill until needed.
- Just before serving, whip the cream and vanilla bean paste into soft peaks, then fold in the yogurt. Spoon some into the centre of each pavlova, top with the cherry compote and serve. Any leftover compote is wonderful spooned over vanilla ice cream or served topped with natural yogurt.