Slow Cooker Spicy Fennel, chilli and sausage ragu
Whip up this comforting ragù recipe in no time using sausagemeat for maximum flavour. Like it hot? Feel free to add more chilli flakes for an extra fiery kick.
- 400g pack of British free-range pork sausages
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large finely chopped fennel bulb (reserve the fronds)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 pinches of chilli flakes
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 300g tagliatelle
- Handful of chopped fresh basil and parsley (to serve)
- Remove and discard the skins from a the sausages and roughly chop the sausagemeat. Heat the oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat and fry the sausagemeat until golden, then set aside. Add the chopped fennel bulb (reserve the fronds) to the pan and fry for 10 minutes until softened and golden. Add the garlic cloves, fennel seeds and 2 tbsp cold water. Turn down the heat slightly, cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chilli flakes, and tinned tomatoes, 200ml water and the browned sausagemeat with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the tagliatelle in a large pan of salted boiling water according to the pack instructions. Drain loosely and toss in the pan with the ragù and reserved fennel fronds. Garnish with a handful of chopped fresh basil and parsley.